There are few visual artists who have mastered two very different media. Yudong Shen is one of them. He not only produces beautiful Chinese ink paintings but also holds an oil painting degree from Luxun Academy of Fine Arts, one of the few "Ivy-League" art institutes in China.
Born in China, Yudong showed artistic abilities at a young age and began formal training. He moved to the United States in the late 1990s. His work is well known in Asia and the United States and he has won numerous awards. Since moving to the U.S., he has developed a distinctive style by using richer colors in his traditional ink paintings.
Yudong has had one-man shows in Chicago and Minneapolis and his work has been featured in exhibits in Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan. A couple highlights of the awards and honors:
- 3rd Prize in 2015 Minnesota State Fair Fine Art competition, watercolor category. Work Sold.
- Art work participated in the Exhibition of Overseas Chinese Paintings and Calligraphy Show in Beijing National Museum and was collected by the Museum in 2012
- Judge for 2012 National Sumi-e Society of America Annual Show (Sumi-e is Japanese for "ink painting")
- First Prize in 2012 Minnesota State Fair Fine Art competition, watercolor category. Work Sold
- Best of Show in the 2006 National Sumi-e Society of America annual show. Work Sold.
- Second Prize in North America Chinese Artist Exhibition in 2000
- First Prize in Chinese Ink Painting category in China national fine art exhibition in 1997
He also teaches painting, drawing and calligraphy at his MeiLin Studios in Shoreview and the St. Paul Midway area in Minnesota.